Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A river of water in a dry place...

Once we found out that the child we hope to bring into our family in September was a boy my dear husband (dh) and I had a daunting task on our hands... To come to an agreement on a name for a boy. We are big fans of unique names but recognize the importance of not burdening a child with too weird a moniker. (Note: Those who know us are most likely rolling their eyes at this point because what we consider "acceptable" is anything but to them ;) Finding a unique girl name that we also consider presentable to the public is much easier than it is for a boy. And my idea of unique yet acceptable names for boys was MUCH different than that of my dh. I love Biblical names like Isaiah, Malcolm, Elijah... or cute names like Harley and Arlo. But dh insisted that none of those names were tough enough and that he wanted to choose a name for his son that sounded tough like the name of a kid that could beat you up. An added criteria that made things very difficult! After weeks of late night name exchanges, heated debates, and competitions over who could come up with the silliest names we finally settled on the right name... And not just a first name, either. A middle name as well! When we finally put the two together I got goosebumps and we knew we had found the perfect name. And so I would like to present to you our little miracle in progress....

(insert drum roll here)

7 1/2 weeks

Alien Chicken

9 1/2 weeks

Baby Bean

22 weeks

Baby in 3D

Check out the flexibility

24 weeks

Photobucket

Photobucket

River Shane

His middle name is the name of my dh's oldest brother. He has always said that he wanted to name a son after his brother and Uncle Shane is very honored!

Recently, while reading in the book of Isaiah, I came across the following scripture that I immediately fell in love with.

"And a man shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land." - Isaiah 32:2

The meaning behind the prophetic words of Isaiah are a great debate amongst religious scholars, but I can guarantee you that this scripture is NOT referring to my precious son. However, the night that I read this scripture I was overcome with how profoundly it described my feelings about this precious little boy. He truly is my river of water in a dry place. For years I have desperately wanted to be a mother without any luck. But now, provided the adoption process continues to move forward, I will finally have that chance. In the wise words of Homer Simpson... "Whoo hoo!"

2 comments:

lorithelouis said...

I love the name River. Let's face it, everyone was holding their breath waiting for you to announce some really odd name that your kid would probably be beaten up because of. River is just coooooool.

I get such a good feeling when I think of you and your adoption. Every child that comes into this world comes with a story, River already has had an amazing adventure! You guys are going to be such great parents! I'm glad he finally found you :)

riversnake said...

Thanks Louis, you are the best! Thanks for all of your support. Have you guys thought of any names yet?