Because River's arrival is (hopefully) only days away I thought I would clear out a few of the skeletons in my closet. This is difficult to admit but since starting the adoption process I have developed a serious addiction .... an addiction to blogs. Wait, not all blogs. Blogs that fit one of two criteria. The blog must be about adoption or the trials of trying to conceive. I would say that I check all of the blogs that I have linked on the side of my page at least a few times a week. Sometimes even more! I don't know if I would be considered a "heavy user" of blogs or not, but it is starting to effect my work and personal life :) Am I a horrible person or what? I know, I know the nursery needs to get wallpapered and painted, the yard needs to be weeded, the toilets need to be cleaned but learning about adoption and sharing in other people's experiences will help me be a better mom, right? Well, at least that is what I tell myself when I start feeling bad about neglecting my work and my home!
Now, if you don't mind I'd like to take a minute to shamelessly plug some of the blogs I have been using to feed my addiction as of late. My first plug is for my friend Margie's blog, Fort Caughlan. I have mentioned her before but not by name. Way back when I blogged about making the announcement at work I mentioned a coworker I met because she was adopting, too. Well, that coworker is now so much more than a coworker! She is my friend Margie! Shortly after we started talking she got her referral for a baby boy due just 5 days after River! How cool is that? Since then we have totally bonded and are friends, confidants and even exercise buddies. It is so cool all of the friendships I have forged since starting this process. I have enjoyed that so much I would highly recommend adoption to anyone!
My second plug is for a particular post on the Johnson-McCormick "Party of 5" blog. The Johnson-McCormick family adopted twin boys from Haiti and just recently added a baby girl to the family through natural conception. I love their blog because when DH, River and myself are ready to expand our family again, I hope to both conceive naturally and eventually adopt from Haiti. I particularly enjoy reading about the dynamic in their family in regards to adopting interracially and mixing bio and adopted children. When their daughter Meera arrived I anxiously awaited news on how the twins would react to her. When they finally posted some of the thoughts that Kyle and Owen had on their sister, I was moved to tears. Click here for a direct link to the post I want to share. There are several other topics and pictures in the post so you can browse through the whole thing to learn more about them or you can scroll down to the picture of Owen holding Meera while she sucks on his pinky and he sucks on his thumb. The paragraph starts, "One day Owen said to me, 'Me and Kyle were adopted. And Meera was adopted, too!'" The thoughts they had so beautifully captured the miracle of children whether they be bio or adopted I was shocked to remember they are only 4 years old! I honestly couldn't have said it better myself. From the mouths of babes, right?
3 comments:
Well I think I have like 17 blogs that I follow, LOL! One thing that has reduced my time is that first I added the blog roll thing to my blog and it shows when someone posts something new so then I wasn't taking the time to click on someone's blog who hadn't updated since I last read their blog. Now Blogger also has that feature called "reading list" and through the dashboard you get kind of the same thing. So I'm using that now instead. For example this morning it showed that 3 of the blogs (including yours) had something new since I last checked. The only ones that doesn't work for are the private ones like Erica's and Lynn's (both from ttc adoption site). I used to spend a lot of time on the ttc website and now I don't go there at all. So for me I switched the time spent there for time reading blogs. Of course in a year or so when we'll probably start either ttc or trying to adopt that might change. :-)
Do you have a laptop computer? I find reading blogs to be an excellent activity while nursing. I spend MANY hours a day on the couch nursing my sweet girl. It's harder to type (although I've improved a lot!) but it's VERY easy to read blogs while she's nursing.
I am so excited for you and your dh. Hopefully he'll be here SOON!!!
Thanks for the info Ruth! I just put together my reading list :) And luckily I do have a laptop so I know what I'll be doing while breastfeeding :)
LOL...I am also addicted to blogs ever since I adopted. In fact, I was in a meeting today at work and cofessed this addiction. I particularly love your blog...you write so well. How exciting that River is almost here!!!!!
Post a Comment