Sunday, February 14, 2010

14/17

Today on this Day of Love 2010 River is 17 months old. He is getting so big and starting to look so much like a little boy instead of a little baby. At times I feel like I am getting true glimpses into what he will look like and be like as a child and part of me is so excited to see this development as I absolutely LOVE to watch him grow into the boy and eventually man that he will be. But part of me also mourns the loss of my little baby boy who grows way too fast for me to enjoy every moment as much as I would like to.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share with you some of the unique things that River does that make me smile on a daily basis. And of course share pictures as well :)

Ahhhh! - When River started standing up and walking on his own Cory and I would make that sound that we all make when we are astounded or amazed. The best I can describe it here is "Ahhhh." Deeply entrenched in the "copying phase" of development River started doing it whenever he would stand up and as he began to really start cruising on two feet. Now officially a bi-ped he still makes the sound often when he accomplishes something he is proud of. It is so amazingly cute words cannot do it justice.

To Share or not to Share... - Again as part of the "copying phase" of development River became fascinated with sharing his food and feeding it to you the same way you would feed it to him. Lately, however, showing just how much he is like his daddy River has started offering to share his treat with you (be it fruit, veggies, candy, etc.) often times even putting it part the way in your mouth before taking it back and eating it himself with a devious little smile and/or giggle.

Nighttime Rituals - We have two nighttime rituals aside from the obvious bath, read a book, put on pj's, etc. The first is we blow kisses to all of the animals (2 dogs, 1 cat), toys, lights, books, and of course Daddy. Now, he likes to blow kisses at the most random times. When we leave Pizza Hut after picking up a pizza, ALWAYS when he sees the puppy dog in one of his favorite books, etc. NEVER, of course, when you want him to. Because he must let it be known that he is most certainly not a performing seal ;)
The second nighttime ritual is that I sing hymns and then pray with him while rocking him to sleep. Sometimes when I don't start singing right away and even sometimes when I do he starts singing along with me toneless, and melody free but absolutely adorably nonetheless. When prayer time comes I always pray in a soft relaxing voice to help him fall asleep. He will also at times whisper with me as if he wants to join in the prayer, too. Nothing warms my heart more!

What to do with a tissue? - A couple weeks ago I was sick for quite a while and as is customary when sick blew my nose on a regular basis. One morning when I grabbed a tissue to blow my nose River gave his indication sign (which has evolved from the sign for milk to a one handed snap as if he is ordering a subservient to retrieve it) that he wanted a tissue as well. So I handed one to him expecting him to simply inspect it or try to wipe the floor with it (one of his favorite activities). Instead he proceeded to spit in it because that was his best guess at what I was doing when I blew my nose. He has repeated this several times and it always makes me bust out laughing when he does it!

And of course, the best part of the post.... PICTURES!


Puppy Love


Aghhhh! It's the Bra Monster!



Pierre L'Enfant

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, such cute stories and pictures, I always look forward to your posts!

Lesa said...

Oh my gosh!!! Is he THE cutest boy ever? Oh man, I miss him so much. He is so precious. YOU are the best mom ever! I LOVE your ritual at night. He's going to grow up to be the most amazing kid ever. I can't wait to come to the sealing in march <3