Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Two years ago today...

... Angie, Cory and I all sat down together in our living room and had THE conversation that changed and bonded our lives and River's forever. She was 7 1/2 weeks pregnant and already had more sorrow and pain (physical and emotional) occur in that short period than most women have over the course of 40 weeks.

Nothing was officially decided this day two years ago as we sat in lawn chairs set upon the bare wood of the floor in our living room but independently both Cory and I felt strongly that this was meant to be. Because (at least for me) like our living room which was in the process of being recarpeted, infertility and miscarriage had humbled me and stripped me to my origins where I was ready to be "remodeled" and redone in an entirely new journey toward parenthood.

This morning, I took our son to "Peek-a-Boo Time" at our local library fully concious of how different our lives would have been had we not had that amazing, heart wrenching, life changing conversation with Angie two years ago today.

Bonus Track: Here is a neat story of the strength of both Angie and River before we even had THE conversation. At 6 weeks Angie went to the Emergency Room with severe pain that she and family thought might be the result of this being an ectopic pregnancy. Ultrasounds revealed that she had a very serious cyst that was critical to be surgically removed and the news that most likely it was an ectopic pregnancy. Luckily post surgery her OBGYN had the foresight to check her HGC levels before removing the tissue from what they thought was a lost pregnancy. Her HGC levels continued to double prompting ultrasounds that finally revealed a little tiny bean determined to stick it out for the long haul. Our son, the fighter!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how beautiful. How strong Angie was to make that decision and what a beautiful story for River to know one day, so many people that love him so very much!

Ruth said...

Wow! That's amazing that River might not be here on earth if that doctor hadn't been so thorough. Angie is a very special lady!!

Faith said...

Amazing story! And I love to read your story and your milestones, as you are on the other side of this pain...the side I so desperately want to get to:). I know that feeling of infertility and miscarriage stripping you and getting you ready to be "remodeled." I like your analogy:).

Faith