Monday, December 6, 2010

Adopt. Adopted. Adoption.

According to dictionary.com the word "Adopt" has 6 definitions. Only one of which is specifically related to the adoption that I write about. This wasn't surprising. I find that the word is used often in conversation but rarely (outside of the adoption blogosphere, of course!) in the same context as the adoption that I write about.

For me, though, it has and only will ever have one meaning. And everytime I read or hear the word spoken, regardless of the context, it always brings with it that rainbow of emotion I feel about my only definition of adoption.

I know I'm not alone. And I know adopt. adopted. and adoption aren't the only words that society uses nonchalantly while for some of us our stomachs are left in flips. If anyone is interested in sharing I would love to hear what words have a similar effect on you.

Examples of other words that work me over similarly: Pregnant. Miscarriage.

And to a lesser extent: Fertile. Birth.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I haven't actually adopted, and yet just because I tried to adopt for 3 years I have many times wished other words could be used - such as when I as a professor am asked by the bookstore which textbook I'm going to adopt. I also have to say that I feel some sadness when I think about adoption - since our efforts were unsuccessful. It reminds me of all the rejection I felt and frustrations...but then I remember all the successful adoptions which have taken place - like with River! :-)

Gretchen said...

Stomach flipping in a good way: Haiti; Ethiopia; Pregnancy; Labor

Stomach flipping in a bad way: Pregnancy; Labor; Birth. I guess no matter how many kids I have, when I hear someone is in labor with their baby, the pangs of jealousy spill over into my heart...

Denver Laura said...

You're not the only one. I read something similar at Write Mind open Heart a few years ago.

http://writemindopenheart.com/2008/02/adopt-a-this-adopt-a-that-2.html