So why as an LDS adoptive parent am I indifferent as apposed to anxiously awaiting an FSA Conference in my area? Because I know that those in the adoption triad have a love/hate relationship with LDS Family Services (LDSFS) who hosts the FSA Conferences. And because I understand why many feel this way.
One of the reasons (at least IMHO) that adoption in its current state is unethical is that many adoption professionals, PAP's and AP's fall into the trap of judging the worthiness of expectant parents to parent their child. With my church's focus on eternal, two parent families we are often more suceptible to this judgement. Unfortunately this gets us nowhere positive and in worst case can lead to expectant parents being coersed into choosing adoption. Now, I don't mean to condemn my church, LDSFS, adoption professionals, PAP's or AP's in general. I know many great people who have adopted and placed through LDSFS and know that many do not fall into the judgement trap and even if they do they are not alone. It is a trap we ALL as humans fall into whether the judgement be adoption related or not. I noticed the first time I owned a nice car I found myself "looking down" on those who were driving old beaters similar to what I had been driving just months before. Regardless of their universality, though, judgement and coersion are a large adoption problem internationally and domestically and a big reason why adoption can suck.
That said, I have read positive reviews of FSA Conferences from several bloggers (all firstmoms). So, for that reason, because I thought it a great excuse to invite Angie down to visit us, and because Kelsey is the key note speaker we are going to attend this FSA Conference come hell or high water! If anyone else is planning on attending (hint, hint, Tiffany, hint, hint :) let me know because I would love to meet up with you. For info and registration for the conference click here.
2 comments:
I SO wish I could attend! I might try to convince Mark to let me go...I'll have to see. How awesome would it be to see you?!
I'm glad you are going though. It's an interesting point you make about LDSFS; I'm noticing more things that I don't really love. But as an LDSFS adoptive mommy, I'll always have a place in my heart for them. Plus I am good friends with all of the FSA members who organized this, so I gotta support it :)
WOW! Now I feel like a Rock Star! How thrilled to hear that you, you of all people are going to be there. I say that becuase as an advid reader and praiser of your mind I cannot tell you the joy I found in reading this post!
You are too kind and I am so grateful that my advocacy of telling it like it is from my side has helped, in some way, in this very different dynamic that is adoption.
YAYYYY CO! Can't wait to meet YOU! I'll tell ya, these conferences are so fantastic! People who have been where you have been, know just what it is that you have been through .. I mean after the last one it felt as if my soul had been rejuvinated and my thoughts were so clear, so validated. I think you are going to love it!
Post a Comment