Friday, March 16, 2012

Oh my... where do I even start?

It is Friday and I'm not going to even pretend that I am being a dedicated engineer at work today.  At first I was just happily perusing the internet catching up on blogs and recent pins when I came across the following pin on that horribly addicting site:


I usually don't look at this kind of stuff.  It isn't about DIY crafts.  But the babies' faces were interesting and I was bored enough to inspect further.  Now I'm spitting mad with my blood pressure so high I can hear my heart beat in my ears.  The worst part?  This pin was added to a board titled, "Happy Thoughts."  Really?  Because I am not at all happy after reading it!  Unless this is opposite day, in which case I am very "happy."

I know that in general these things come from a place of ignorance instead of malice so instead of tearing the pinner a new one I simply commented:

"What is wrong with being adopted?"

Adoptees each have individual experiences with their adoption but that is their story to share.  It shouldn't be the butt of a joke.  At least that is how I see it.  However, I see stuff like this through the eyes of an adoptive parent that wonders the impact that this kind of joking may have on my son who won't get a "j/k" at the end of the adoption discussion.

I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this.  How would you handle it if you came across this?  Please share your thoughts even if you aren't a member of the adoption triad.  It is just as informative.

Thank you, and I apologize if you are now as spitting mad as I am.  I don't want to ruin anyone's Friday.

5 comments:

Mrs. D'Amico said...

I've seen people, friends on my facebook post this picture and it infuriates me!!!

Mrs. D'Amico said...

In fact, it offends me... especially when my "So called friends" add it to their facebook. Of course, none of them are adopted or have adopted or probably will ever adopt and that makes it even worse to me. sorry for the double post but we share the same thought on this :)

Jamie said...

I probably wouldn't have thought much of it if I had seen it elsewhere (being that I am not in the adoption triad), but you have opened my eyes. WOW! So offensive! I wouldn't have posted it before and I definitely won't post it now.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I saw that a while back. It is sad. I'm generally non combative and the gal that face booked it got torn apart by others so I didn't have to add my two cents... I agree that it's coming from ignorance.....


We still need to talk.

Faith said...

It definitely rubs me the wrong way - especially because I have two babies, one adopted, one not - so it really hits close to home. I would say something every time - I'd have to calm my heart and mind before writing for sure, but you can bet I would be giving my 2 cents!! Education is key, right?