Friday, December 10, 2010

Adoption Free and Funny Friday: Where does he come up with these things?

Every day on at least a few occasions I find myself with the overwhelming urge to climb into River's brain and figure out how it works. The way he works through things, what makes sense to him and what does not is almost an obsession of mine.

One of the things that River has struggled with has been language skills. He started out early with words like "light" and "kitty" at 11 months old. Then around 13 months he abandoned them in lieu of finger pointing and grunts. I don't blame him I mean really when you have two people hovering over you meeting your every need why bother with words? I'm sure any great king or pharoh would be able to tell you that.

Luckily over the past 6 months he has been slowly but surely working his way back into the speaking world. And I have found myself obsessed with the words he chooses to pick up on. Words that describe the things he loves like dog/doggie, car, or train hold no interest to him. Instead he prefers words like bubble, Ammon (the name of his nanny's dog), and tree. Monday he just randomly started saying the word "shoe." Then yesterday he started saying this gem...

boob

Yes, you read that correctly. He has started saying boob and is fully aware of what the word means. How do I know this? Oh, perhaps it is because he says the word over and over again while running after me with his finger pointed out trying to poke me in the...

boob

One might think that the word boob would rarely be used in daily conversation for a child to pick up on. Apparently, though, we must use boob quite often. I guess I have already written it 5 times in one sitting. Really it has to be one of the funniest words in the English language.

And I suppose he is a boy and all. But does the obsession have to start THIS early?

Boobies!

3 comments:

Faith said...

Love it! Lol! I am fairly sure that will be a staple in our son's vocab, too, given my husband's fascination with the concept...lol!

Tee said...

What a crack up! It's amzing what children pick up on, and sometimes it's a little bit embarrassing!

Alexis Leclair said...

It was a word in my kiddo's vocab - even went as far as lifting my shirt up in BEST BUY in front of a bunch of male sales people and saying boob. Yea. Good luck with that.