Thursday, April 1, 2010

Census Day!

Several bloggers on the beourgening list of blogs I follow have addressed the census in their writing recently. By writing the following post I kind of feel like the last girl in class to start liking New Kids On The Block ironically right as it became unpopular to do so. But since today marks the deadline to send in your census I thought I would share some of my thoughts... recognizably late in the game.

Usually I have considered censuses a benign irritation. But then again I am a "Heinz 57", WASP of what mixture I'm not entirely sure. I know I'm English spiced with some Swedish and who knows what else. Ethnically I do not identify with either of these countries unless you include really digging England's music scene. So, checking the "white" box and calling it good is not loaded for me as it is for others, understandably.

That said, I do have a beef with the census this year. Though I believe it started in the 2000 census, this is the first time I have filled out the census as a mother and it is the first time I have cared that when filling out the census I have to disclose whether my child came to me biologically or through adoption. I had read this post (which I HIGHLY recommend you read for more sound arguments against this question) prior to filling out my census form so it wasn't a smack in the face when I first encountered the question. Thank goodness! I'm not sure how I would have handled it otherwise. Maybe I'm just extra sensitive as an adoptive mother already very aware of my body's failures and not psyched about the idea of having to report said failures to the government.

For what purpose? What does it help the government learn? Are they researching the "Angelina Effect" to determine how willing the general public becomes to adopt if several celebrities blaze the path? I seriously considered lying and checking the "biological child" box to protect myself and my son from being separated from the breeders and their offspring but then I remembered that this isn't the first census I've participated in since moving out of my parents house and that means I should be old enough to behave better...

And back in the 90's didn't NKTOB sing to me about "Hangin' Tough?" Alright, I will! I will hang tough, Jordan, just for you!

Please note that I use the terms "breeders" and "their offspring" in loving jest. My intent is not to offend but to make you laugh. Even if you are laughing at me not with me.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I am so offended by your use of words...just kidding!

I was annoyed by that adopted or biological box on the census either, and of course I have no box to check yet. I felt totally boring with my little family of 2. Boo. But...I also thought to myself, the next time I fill out the census form, I can be really annoyed when I have to check the adopted box!

I was a NKOTB fanatic...posters, concerts, pajamas, the whole 9 yards! :)

JenJo said...

As a birthmom I felt like I should be able to include my birthdaughter in the Census, but have a place to say that she was placed for adoption and her birthdate and all of that.

I get that the Census wants information on who is in each household, but it seems like they need to know where people came from originally too.

riversnake said...

Jenni, I'm glad you mentioned that because the census made me also think a lot about Angie and wonder if it was difficult for her not to have a place for River on her census, too.