Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moses v. Aaron

I'm not sure how many of your are familiar with the entirety of Moses' story as he fought to free the Isrealites from bondage in Egypt. The Old Testament certainly isn't a #1 New York Best Seller that the masses stand in line for at midnight dressed as their favorite "character." And I've only ever seen bits and pieces of the movie "The Ten Commandments", the story's only exposure to mainstream media, so I don't know how detailed/accurate the movie was.

For those who haven't read the Old Testament, seriously, go out and read it! Even if you aren't particularly religious or even Christian or Jewish because let me tell you, no other book provided me with the support I needed through infertility and pregnancy loss like the OT did. (See, we are such good friends now I lovingly refer to it by my pet name for it - OT :) Not only does it openly discuss infertility (probably the first book to do so!) but it also has great examples on how to grieve for yourself and for others. Ahem... the Book of Job. LIFE CHANGING!!! The Book of Isaiah... Literature at its finest! Beautiful, thought provoking and challenging.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now back to Moses. When God called Moses to speak to the Pharoh about releasing the Isrealites from bondage he was very overwhelmed. He had what he obscurely describes as "trouble with speech" and felt he was not capable of persuading the Pharoh to release his people. I immediately warmed to Moses when I read this because I've always considered myself as someone who has trouble with speech. I often stumble over words or lose the right words completely and have to rely on simpler, less accurate words. Especially when I am particularly emotional. So, what did Moses do to overcome his "trouble with speech?"

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

He asked his brother Aaron who was good with speech to speak on his behalf. Sorry, that was probably anti-climactic :) Perhaps you were hoping for some age old secret on successful public speaking? Hey, passing the buck does work when possible! So, as an infertile Moses I would like to direct you to a post written by one of my infertile Aarons. Her name is Faith. If you have experienced infertility, make sure when you read this you are somewhere private as it will make you want to pump your fists Jersey style and shout "Amens" and "Hallelujah's" to the heavens. If you have not experienced infertility be prepared to come as close as possible to experiencing it first hand through her words.

What IF

It was written as part of a project commemorating National Infertility Awareness Week called Project IF. I will be posting my own What IF within the next few days. Just don't expect it to convince you to free the Isrealites ;)

"Let my people go!"

3 comments:

Ruth said...

THanks for posting a link to that post. I could definitely relate. I also think you are underestimating yourself. I enjoy reading your posts, too! And I'm glad to know you find encouragement from reading the OT. Most people seem to stick with the NT and maybe the Psalms. Good for you!

Faith said...

I agree with Ruth that you are underestimating yourself! I LOVE your posts!

I am just so honored that you connected to my post, and that you even felt compelled to link it. I feel like there is so much more to be said, heard and written, but I am so glad this one post was so powerful for one person. Thank you for saying so - it really was the "pick-me-up" I needed today:). I so appreciate your friendship, if only through our online world:).

Tee said...

I don't know what you are talking about...this post was great! I laughed, I cried, I was MOVED! OK, maybe not crying...but I laughed. I swear!

Seriously, the posts the I have read of yours are written quite nicely :) I haven't read the link yet, but I am going to right...NOW!